Thursday, October 29, 2009

Torture your Co-Workers

Photobucket
I work in a cubicle, and I listen to music at work on speakers, which means that everyone around me has to listen to it as well. They are cheapo computer speakers, which look like they are from the mid 90s (the brand is JUSTer, and they claim to be a HI – FI Speaker System), and they definitely aren’t anything great, but they get the job done considering that I can’t exactly bump. I don’t use headphones at work as they are much too restrictive: I can’t hear people walking down the halls, which is essential to me minimizing incriminating windows hastily. Plus they start to hurt my ears after an hour of pumping up the jams. Lately I’ve been listening to either disco/boogie/italo, stoner metal, or Wu – Tang, which means that all 3 people that work directly in my cubicle, and the 4 others in the adjacent one are listening to the same shit. Every other day, this one girl tells me to turn it down, but I am so nice and polite to her that it’s not really an issue; she asks me to turn it down simply because it annoys the shit out of her at that moment, and she tolerates it the rest of the time, so I really can’t complain.
Photobucket
I’ve been pondering how the music that I listen to in my cubicle, while I write these posts and sometimes do actual work, reflects what people think of me; specifically my sexual orientation, my habits, my lifestyle, how I spend my money etc. If I was Joseph or Gina Normal, and I heard a majority of disco coming from a specific office space, I’d probably assume gay without much hesitation. The Wu – Tang stuff, which is probably not appropriate for work, equals stoner with low ambition, and the stoner metal stuff obviously fits in a similar category. Which poses the question of which is more high brow? Who gets the promotion: the white guy at his desk, dressed in appropriate casual work gear listening to Wu, or a similar fellow listening to Electric Wizard? This may be rhetorical (but probably neither).
Pierre Henry - Psyche Rock
Dusty Springfield - Thats The Kind Of Love I Have For You (Disco 3000 Edit)
Dinosaur - Kiss Me Again (Original Edit)

Also, the pics in the post don't correspond to any of the content, and maybe I could have held off, untill I could relate something to car surfing, but I am very impulsive and have very little patience. I guess car surfing is kind of like ghostriding the whip for white people. Its both dangerous and entertaining, and if you have ever seen a ghostriding accident live (which I have, in the Fillmore on Fulton and Webster, and nobody died or got seriously injured, so it was officially hillarious) you'd know what I'm talking about. I know there are a ton on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment