Thursday, October 1, 2009

At The Request Of Blog

Photobucket
It’s too early for my mind to function. I am actually really busy at work right now, and I shouldn’t take the 15-30 minutes necessary to get a bare bones post together, but I’m infected by blog, and need to feed it with delicious content. I spoil blog like a busy, divorced, Beverly Hills lawyer with his son on Saturday. Today is the beginning of putting up some of the vinyl that I acquired in Indiana, which should run through a few posts into next week.

One of the better records that I picked up is Bernard Wright’s Nard album on GRP records. Usually records on GRP are guaranteed to have a lot of sax solos, often alto or soprano, which are the smoothest and cheesiest of the bunch. This album does have sax solos, but the funk on here is so complete that it caused me to second guess the GRP label all together. I mean I assumed that there might be some occasional jams on that label, but I mostly dismissed it, as they did put out multiple Al Jarreau and Spyro Gyra albums (I had a music teacher that made us listen to Spyro Gyra all the time in middle school; sadly I’d probably actually dig it now) which is what you tend to find en mass at every thrift store. I could put up a bunch more cuts from this album that are definitely “blog worthy”, but I’d rather leave the crickets in suspense. Maybe more later.
Bernard Wright – Master Rocker
Bernard Wright – Just Chillin’ Out

I also was able to find a great Was (Not Was) 12”. When I was a kid I thought these guys were the shit, even though I had no idea who they were, because of that one hit Walk the Dinosaur (I liked dinosaurs). Was (Not Was) is kind of a cool band name (I like parenthesis a lot) but it really makes no sense. There are two brothers with the last name of “Was” in the band, so shouldn’t it be Was x 2, or more impressively Was². If one of the brothers’ first name was “Not” then it’d be fitting, and also pretty awesome (naming your kid “Not” is pretty punk in my book). All Music.com claims that at one point Wayne Kramer (MC5) was in the band (for this recording no less), which I find hard to believe, but I’ll go with it, because they are both from Detroit (it seems to make sense that people from tough-ass places are bonded together concretely based on similar environmental and learning experiences, despite their own personal tastes. Being from relatively decent parts of Los Angeles, I have no first-hand experience in this phenomenon as people from LA rarely bond about anything other than back-scratches. Dig!).
Was (Not Was) – Tell Me That I’m Dreaming
Was (Not Was) – Out Come The Freaks

No comments:

Post a Comment