Monday, October 5, 2009

I Hate Mondays

Photobucket
I was reading back through some of my posts to make sure that I am not making a total fool of myself with the blog. I’ve realized that I would never use my own blog as a promotional tool to impress anyone that is not already familiar with my own obsessions, theories and demeanors. If anything, this blog can and probably will hurt me somehow, or prevent me from some great opportunities. Someone, will have heard something positive about me, google my shit, eventually find my blog, find it ridiculous and pathetic, figure I'm unstable or peculiar, and ultimately move on having made a final decision (if my parents ever read this shit they will likely cry!). The last thing I would do if I was attempting to get a job (djing or writing) or impress a someone (who wouldn’t be impressed by page long posts about googling myself and finding out how sad my internet presence is), is give them a link to One Man’s Problem. Once you are in my comfort zone, then maybe I would feel unperturbed letting you view my public blog (which anybody can currently access). I think I need to mentally prepare myself for the nightmare that blog fame will unleash on me.

While I am still unsure of how my ravings read to people that either don’t know me personally or have only met me a few times, I did notice a lot of reoccurring themes that are starting to make blog like a Garfield comic strip. 75% of the time Garfield’s subject matter revolves around sleep, food, hating Monday’s, and being lazy. There were a couple other frequent topics that Garfield visits (like Odi’s lack of brain power, I think there was a girl cat that Garfield either dated or hit on, torturing the mailman, etc…), but the ones that were initially mentioned were likely the themes that hammered constantly through Jim Davis’ battered brain as he repeatedly encountered solitude in his heartbreakingly lonely and pathetic daily life. I’m pretty sure that Davis polished off a few family sized lasagnas in his boxers well past midnight in his heyday. Judging by his picture (see above) I have the feeling that I am correct on this one, at least until the comic strip became famous, he became rich, and people thus judged him on his success instead of his appearance and abnormalities. I guess the nice thing about a comic strip (and a blog) is the fact that you can hide behind it. The internet informed me that “Davis as of 2007 resides in Albany, Indiana, where he and his staff produce Garfield under his company, Paws, Inc., begun in 1981. Paws, Inc. employs nearly 50 artists and licensing administrators, who work with agents around the world managing Garfield's vast licensing, syndication, and entertainment empire.” This type of infrastructure is very impressive for something as specific as Garfield (side note: it must be hell to work there with Garfield décor everywhere [pictures of Garfield with Bill Clinton, and foreign dignitaries, movie posters, funniest comic strip 1988 awards, and don’t forget Jim Davis’ ugly mug all over the place too]. In addition people probably talk about Garfield like he is a real actor; and pose all these rhetorical questions on Garfield’s behalf. “Would Garfield really want to introduce the award for best new actor at the European Union Movie Awards?”), and I’m hoping that I can model blog to become the same type of cash cow. My main themes of coffee, manic self-praise/self-depreciation, hypocritical bombast, and boogie/disco music will slowly infect the inter-world. All I need to do is capitalize on it when the time is right, brand that shit, and it’s clear skies and pina coladas for the remainder of my years. Do you see the irony? What was initially “One Man’s Problem” has now become one man’s felicity and payoff. Fingers crossed!

Big hard on for synthrock/pop today. I think its also referred to as new wave, which is a omnipotent catch-all term that is applied to everything and anything slightly abnormal that happened in music from the late 70s to the 90s. I think the problem with naming anything "new" is that you cannot later change the name to "old", once your music/band is dated, tired, or expired. Here is some dated "wave" music. Sadly its still better than a lot of current "wave" music coming out now.

Gary Numan - M.E.
Heaven 17 - (We Don't Need This) Facist Groove Thing
Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement
Japan - Adolescent Sex

1 comment:

  1. "Hey, Tony..."

    "What's up, Scott?"

    "You hear ...?"

    "Hear what?"

    "Garfield and I double-teamed some co-eds last night..."

    ReplyDelete