Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ray Parker Jr. Bites

Photobucket
Ah coffee. I can feel it coursing through my veins. Pumping my heart rate faster, stirring my bowels, thumping my feet. Again short on a real concept for the day. I think I understand what musicians refer to as the curse of the 2nd album. You have every idea, song, and influence from life to use on your first album. If you are 25 years old when you record it, you can ultimately use 25 years of experience (whatever it is that you are able to remember of course, but I’m sure that there is a bunch of stuff that’s completely lost somewhere in your brain that is somehow able to contribute). So when you are done with that, you’ve completely exhausted yourself of everything contributing to that very point, and now you have one year or so to create all new stuff, having to start completely from scratch unless you want to rehash all your old tarnished ideas (which hopefully you don’t, of course there may always be room for remixes and improvements). I feel I’ve finished the metaphorical equivalent of LP 1 of One Man’s Problem; my general themes of coffee (which is a theme I will unfortunately always regurgitate, as it is my inspiration and fuel), the duality of being super arrogant, confident/timid, meek, and self-doubting, personifying blog like its a person, pointless insight into random topics and similarly pointless negative ranting concerning whatever the fuck I can think of (I hate this, I hate that, etc.). Maybe I should just end it at that.
Photobucket
I’m posting up a flyer for a night that I co-promote and DJ, in the very off chance that anyone that checks this blog does not personally know me, lives in San Francisco/Bay Area, and likes to party. If you come to my gig solely based on the blog, I will not only be extremely surprised and grateful, but also very embarrassed that all you know about me is the shit that I write here. I don’t know if my writing actually reflects accurately on who I am as a person; I’d have to bribe someone else to query a third party that knows me intimately to get to the bottom of that one. I couldn’t just ask that person directly, as they’d likely sculpt their answer in order to not crush my psyche. Enough! Look at the lineup though, we have BT Magnum, a reputable DJ with a respectable blog, Beat Electric, headlining.

Raydio is the fucking shit. About a year ago I’d never heard of them, and all I knew about Ray Parker Jr. was that he wrote the Ghostbusters Theme (direct quote from the song “bustin makes me so proud”) which featured Run-DMC on lyrics apparently (I always thought it was just some no-name rapper). Parker was accused and sued by Huey Lewis and the News for that theme song ripping off “I Want a New Drug” which was settled out of court as a somewhat hush-hush affair. Regardless of controversy, Parker went on to win a Grammy for the track in 1984. In 2001, RP Jr. struck back, and sued Lewis “for breaching a confidentiality agreement forming part of their original out of court settlement which prohibited either side from speaking about it publicly. Lewis had implied in a VH1 Behind The Music special that Parker had paid a financial settlement as part of the original agreement.” In my mind this pretty much validates that Parker did in fact rip off Huey and the News, and later sued him out of embarrassment, and I totally understand, as Huey is both a genius and a pioneer of hyper elaborate chart topping musical composition. FYI I pulled all of this supposedly “insider” info off Wikipedia, which means that it may not be true, and everything I wrote is just a poorly summarized version of what was there. None of this has anything to do with the band Raydio, who were an operating unit well before any of the aforementioned crap went down. Expect more Raydio posts in the future.
Raydio - It's Your Night
Raydio - It's In the Groove

No comments:

Post a Comment