Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Stink

Photobucket
The train’s so crowded you can’t even think/Oh man, somebody stinks/ I said stinking on the train is a lowdown shame/ messing with my nose membranes/Harry in your pocket, Harry in your pocket/ You better buy a lock for your pocket and lock it/ Lock your doors and your windows too and buy a dog that’s bigger than you.

These are lyrics from the 2nd verse of the Boogie Boys’ song City Life, which is featured for download in this post. This track is super sing-song-y, with a really basic syncopation and meter; very reminiscent of how TV shows in the 80s, in an attempt to get down with street culture and relate to adolescents, would incorporate these super cheesy raps into their programs. I always used to think that this happened because executives or composers (who generally knew nothing about the rap scene, or were afraid to push the envelope in anyway by making anything seem grimy, dirty or realistic), just took an uneducated stab at it and created some nursery-rhyme-esque beats and lyrics. I was of course entirely wrong as the Boogie Boys are not only from Harlem, but put out three legitimate albums with Capitol Records. Perhaps they were the model for the rap scene in the movie Teen Witch. I can't front (hip hop lingo!), as I do truly like this song. Sometimes, music can reach a level that is so fucking tacky, that it transcends being worthy of any legitimate judgment, and just becomes entertaining and hilarious. I think that Skid Row and David Lee Roth fall into this category (although, DLR does purposely try to be comedic to a certain extent, which might eliminate him from the running. Check out a page of his quotes here). Note in the lyrics I transcribed above, the line “Harry in your pocket” is a reference to a pickpocket. That had me confused for a little while, so I figured I’d pass on the knowledge. I also really like the line "You better buy a lock for your pocket and lock it", as it goes the extra distance to suppose that if you buy a lock for your pocket, that you need be reminded to actually use the lock.

The line “stinking on the train” got me to thinking about the smells that often come from bums. On the exterior of the building where I work is a little square section that cuts into the outer wall, sheltering the area from rain and wind. It’s generally useless (it’s probably a fire escape for a portion of the building that I didn’t even know existed) and I have never seen it utilized for any building related purposes. As you could expect, its exclusivity coupled with its sheltered hideaway attributes make this space an excellent asylum for the homeless. This spot is always vacant during the day when I roll by: I work in a touristy area, so I assume it is patrolled during business hours, plus they also wash the sidewalk (including inside that crevasse) every other day, so it’s strictly a night spot for bums. Regardless of the fact that no one is there during my brief passing, there is still this unbelievable stench that messes with my nose membranes. You’d figure that smell is something that travels with you and is only exists within a particular proximity of your body. If I shit my pants on a train (which would be a lowdown shame), and I kept my accident in my pants, when I got off the train, the smell would slowly dissipate from the air and after 10 or 15 minutes, new passengers on the train would have no idea what had just gone down. So what I am failing to understand, is how the putrid smell of bum BO (it’s not a urine smell either, because I know that smell, and pee is clearly a tangible thing that would stay on the concrete) is able to hang out constantly in this little section without there being any visible grime or a bum to accompany it. Even right after the area is scrubbed down by the sidewalk cleaner, it is still just as pungent and putrid, only now with a soapy essence. Creepy.

The picture above is from the album Sooner or Later by Larry Graham (two tracks from the album are posted below). I don’t really like to display the album cover of the track that I am posting, but this one in particular really got me juiced, and I shouldn’t fight it based on a stupid blogging principle I dreamt up. I know I just went on a tirade about dressing up, but I think I also mentioned that doing so around Halloween is obviously acceptable and encouraged. This Halloween I want to be Larry at this photo-shoot (he is mid collar pop by the way, check the pic). The crummy thing is that there is no way that I will be able to pull this off so that I’ll actually look like that, and even if I did, everyone would probably think that I am Tubs from Miami Vice. I’d have to explain to everyone that I am not Tubs, I’m actually Larry Graham from the cover of Sooner or Later, and for me, part of having a cool costume, is not having to explain it to everybody. I doubt anyone would get the reference unless I happen to be hanging out with a bunch of other blogging nerds like me. I think it’s pretty safe to assume that he got a lot of pussy.
Bernard Wright - Move Your Body
Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Hihachi
Lafayette Afro Rock Band - Darkest Light
Boogie Boys - City Life
Larry Graham - I Feel Good
Larry Graham - Sooner or Later (Instrumental)

No comments:

Post a Comment