Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Really Slow Day At Work

Today, I’m gonna post a couple pics that I have no reason to post other than because I wanna write about them. They’ve been sitting in the My Pictures Folder of my work comp for a while now, marinating, and rather than force them into the context of some other idea, they’ll just be the idea, which will also be forced.
Photobucket
I like this photo more than any photo I’ve snatched off the net in recent times. When you are about 8 years old, it’s cool to imagine that you are actually a super hero that fights crime, and run around your house body-slamming your dog, who against his will personifies your imaginary nemesis. I guess this is what happens when you are an only-child, and you obsess and idolize Calvin and Hobbes. But growing up in NYC, you can actually take it to the streets and at least attempt to realize your full potential. What I absolutely love about this photo is the fly-on-the-wall nature of it, which is very true to the Spiderman persona. Additionally it makes more sense for Spiderman to be small in stature; spiders are small creatures, and the resultant hybrid of man and spider would likely be closer in the size range of the kid in the picture, than Tobey Maguire. So technically he is that much more authentic.
Photobucket
With Halloween upon us, I’ve been considering a few costumes and nothing has really hit me like a ton of bricks. This happens every year…I tool around with a few ideas, and I’m usually too cheap to actually put in the money, and too lazy to actually put in the time. I pull something out of my ass at the last minute, and ultimately feel diminished and small by my procrastination. When I go out to Halloween parties, I cower in the company of great, thought-out costumes. Usually a day or two after Halloween I have that great costume epiphany, get mad that I wasn't able to put it together earlier, and swear to remember my idea for the succeeding year. About two months later it's totally forgotten. The following picture is not a great costume. This musician from the future of the 80s (see checkered guitar strap, power glove, color-blocked TV) is at a major loss, as his costume is not fucking believable. In what type of future do you have to plug all your shit in to normal outlets (I guess we still use the same type of outlets that were used in the 50s, but come on). I call bullshit. The future is at least cordless (as is the present; I saw a great blue-toothed couple the other day: he was rocking it in the right ear on her right, and she was rocking the left ear to his left. They had great symmetry!), and there is no way that you are triggering MIDI with that Playstation joystick.
Photobucket
This pic is the back cover of the self titled LP by the group Disco Circus. When I saw this album at the record store a couple months ago I really wanted to buy it based solely on the artwork, which represents one of those great Disney fantasies, where during the day all the animals are totally normal, and then under the cover of night, their true alter-human personas are revealed; in this case they are racy, alcoholic, party “animals”. On the front cover, there is a slutty female elephant wearing a super revealing dress dancing next to “Saturday Night” Cheetah. Unfortunately I was unable to find a working pic of that, since the only working version is tagged/ruined by discomusic.com [fucking cock-blockers], but here is the back cover with a leisure suited Gorilla getting down with a hoochie giraffe wearing “fuck-me” boots and a tube-top. Just look up “Disco Circus” in Google images and you’ll find the other pic; it’s worth doing just so you can view the detail they put into illustrating the elephant’s nipples. I fucked up pretty hard not buying it, as I was too cheap to shell out $7 for the LP (since I didn't really dig any of the tunes). Later I realized my mistake, and went back to claim it for my wall, but it was already gone (sob). I guess the message that can be derived from this tale is that if you are gonna have great artwork for your album, you might as well make the music good too: then it's a sure sale. In doing research about this album I realized that on the Discogs website, you can make a virtual record collection, by finding and adding the records you claim to own to your “collection” (you can also make a want list, which is actually a handy tool, as it seems like a pretty convenient way to remember all of the records you randomly look up, and Discogs is a pretty thorough site). Is having a large virtual record collection cool? Fuck, is having a virtual content site (blog) cool? No. Ahhhhhh, soooooo embarrassing.
Carrere - Discotheque (Disco Special)
Ronnie Laws - All For You
Rainbow Brown - Let's Go Another Round (Tom Moulton Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment