Monday, October 19, 2009

Not So Great

Photobucket
Depressed, tired and I don’t want to write anything. Even though blog has been waiting patiently for the weekend to end, he may have to wait some more for some real juice. This is just filler and I don’t want to pass it off as anything else. I’ve realized that the entry from a couple days ago, which was done in French, makes absolutely no sense at all. I used one of those online language translators to code all of my English into French, and I immediately just assumed that it was correct because it looked cool. A few days after posting it I decided to actually try to translate it back using the same translator I used in the first place, and all I got was a bunch of fragmented garbage that only hints at the intended concepts. Without the original English text around, I was basically unable to remember what I had written, and I felt small, dumb, poor, and cold. While this says a lot about my fore-sight and ability to reason properly, it also says a lot (or little) about the fucking translator. Online translators are like playing telephone with languages, but it’s a fucking computer, so it should be able to translate and revert the same text accurately. But it probably just waters down certain phrases and simplifies specific words during translation, and then does the same on the way back, resulting in a passage that looks like it was written by an 11 year old French immigrant with a dirty mind. In case you were curious the whole thing was about Manginas, as the title of that post suggests.

Today’s tracks are off the disco/boogie trail, as I feel that I’ve been getting a bit specific and homogenized when posting tracks lately. That is what all the great music blogs do, they pick a genre and/or genres (which are usually closely related) and juice the shit out of them. Fortunately for me (and possibly for you) One Man’s Problem is not a great blog, so I am completely unrestrained by any real guidelines, outside of my own mental boundaries (which are vast). I have no fans to please, so as long as I feel that I’m effectively wasting time at work, I’ve kind of succeeded in a way. All of these tracks below are produced and/or written by super-weirdo cult rock n roll guy, Kim Fowley, who has very scary eyes. I’ve seen a few interviews with him, and I always find myself hypnotized by his zombie-jellybean peepers, and I need to turn away often, so as not to get sucked into their tractor-beam void. Tony Robbins' teeth have the same effect on me. This is guy is responsible for a ton of great rock n roll tracks (from the late 50s to almost present day) that are beaten path material, and a bunch of hits too (Runaways, Cat Stevens, he produced a version of the first Modern Lovers LP, but they scrapped his recordings for the ones John Cale did. But they were later released on Bomp, and are pretty cool as a companion piece).
Kim Fowley - Animal Man
Kim Fowley - Bubblegum
Gene Vincent - Rainbow at Midnight
The Murmaids - Popsicles and Icicles
Cat Stevens - Portebello Road

No comments:

Post a Comment