Monday, November 2, 2009

Post Halloween Post

Photobucket
In the wake of Halloween, I’d be outright lying if I claimed that I acted appropriately around random strangers, or even my friends. I feel downright filthy for some of the things that I thought of, performed, exploited, and viewed last weekend, and from what I can tell, my behavior was in some way more controlled than some of my incorrigible Bay Area peers. I think you are allowed a hall pass of sorts, to traverse to the wild side during these festivities, which becomes more and more endurable and valid following large amounts of liquor, and the mental confidence/insanity that a costume can furnish your psyche. Regardless, it is still important to hold on to a fraction of decency in these situations, and not completely lose track of all intuition, humanity, and ethics. If you outright lie, cheat, or defraud a friend (or stranger) on Halloween, the “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas” mentality does not excuse your behavior. Here is a short and vague list of a few things that I personally did this weekend, which make me feel vile in retrospect:
1. Fabricated a lie because I thought it was funny. Instead, it just made everyone worried and doubtful.
2. Danced very lewdly next to a girl that actually seemed to enjoy my company (at least until then) ultimately ushering her disappearance, and likely grossing her out.
3. Said or screamed some very blunt and tasteless things to get a reaction.
4. Lit a cigarette backwards.
5. Used a computer inappropriately to entertain people.
6. Hocked a loogie on a guy by accident. He was cool with it (thank god).
7. Generally suffered from poor judgment decisions for 3 days straight.

So in order to make up for my shit behavior, I need to tip the scales in the opposite direction for the next 3 days, to correct the evil balance opposition I’ve created. Maybe I’ll go feed a baby deer in the forest, tip really big at the coffee shop, or listen to my mom give me her top three picks of graduate schools for marketing or account management. I’m sure I could be a little more valiant than that, but at least it’s a good start.

Another way I’d like to give back is by posting up one of my favorite party jams, The Cars That Go Boom by L’Trimm. A great song, about Bunny D and Tigra being infatuated with guys that spend a lot of time and cash on their car stereos; until this point, I don’t think that that specific group of guys had really gotten their due. I never understood the name, L’Trimm, but I did always think it sounded super cool. Trim is a slang word that can mean either an attractive girl, having sex with a girl, or vagina. I’ve occasionally heard Bay Area homies proclaim “I pulled hella trim last night” and high fiving, or throwing the rock while riding the bus. I don’t think that L’Trimm were attempting to evoke the slang meanings of the word trim in their moniker, and I would assume that the aforementioned usage of the term “trim” came later on in the mid 90s. Plus there are two Ms in Trimm, so maybe that lends itself to an entirely different meaning all together. I’d have to ask someone who was active in the club scene in Miami in 1988, and I’m not that resourceful.
L'Trimm - The Cars That Go Boom
Eddie Trauba & M.M. Greco - Macaroni Radio
Human Egg - Love Like This

No comments:

Post a Comment