Friday, November 13, 2009

The Complete Package

Photobucket
I’m clearly in dire need of more caffeine. I’ve been listening to disco all morning, drinking coconut juice, and staring at a blank computer screen, as a result of last night’s love affair with scotch. Scotch pretty much guarantees that the next day is gonna suck, but that doesn’t seem to matter to me, as I clearly have no foresight into any resultant consequences; everything has got to be pleasure now, now, now. My partial dedication to Thursday night hedonism is both impulsive and retarded, and now my eyelids feel heavy and my mind sluggish. If there is a lesson to be learned, it’s probably that just because someone offers you something free does not mean that you have to take it.
PhotobucketThe music selection for today is two Johnny Wakelin tracks from the album Reggae, Soul, and Rock n Roll. Usually I try not to post up a picture of the featured artist, as I find it a bit more fun to search out some picture that relates more abstractly to the sentiment of the post, but this guy is such a goofball that I kind of have to post up at least a few pics (the top one is from http://www.johnnywakelin.co.uk/, which is the funniest/saddest site I’ve seen in some time. Anything that highlights 3 semi-hits from 30 years ago with a current pic is getting into some pretty laughable territory). The album has one of the coolest logos of all time, which is supposed to be some dude in a beanie dancing with a lady (although it totally looks like he’s taking her to the bone-zone; check the expression on his face). I’d first heard the track In Zaire on this comp that Jarvis Cocker put together a couple years back, and I never really put together an image of the singer in my head. It’s weird how you can hear a song and not assume that the singer is gonna look a certain way. Then when you see a picture of the dude, you are absolutely astonished by the way he looks for some reason, despite the fact that his looks are merely an extension of the way he sounds. I mean when you hear some guy like Tony Benet or even Afrika Bambaataa, they are dead ringer visually to complement the aural experience. Why I was surprised to see some huge white weirdo in a cowboy hat singing this shit is uncanny, since that’s exactly what he should look like.
Photobucket
Oh yeah, fyi, by now I’ve had so much coffee that I am basically in the future, and my pet turtle seeks solace in the drains.
Johnny Wakelin – Reggae, Soul, and Rock n Roll
Johnny Wakelin – In Zaire

No comments:

Post a Comment