Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Covers Baby, Covers

Photobucket
First Off R.I.P. Swayze

Too crashed and dumb to write anything meaningful right now (like that brilliant sweatpants rant I concocted yesterday, what a real winner that one was). Additionally not feeling the dance music scene today (any of it, all decades included), so I'm rocking out at work, with my cock in my pants. Finally picked up the new Galactic Zoo Dossier Zine/CD that Drag City puts out every so often, and it is well worth every penny. Basically a bunch of rock'n'roll obsessives creaming their jeans about their favorite relics, or letting you know about the group that you thought sucked because of later lameness/big-time stardom or success, "but man you just don't know, cuz in '68 they were for real." The mag is also littered with really cool illustrations, and I just photocopied a full pager of Suicide and put it up in my cubicle which is a bit more raw than the smiley pumpkin faces the lady from the Japan program has on the opposite (and rival) wall. The song There Isn't Time by Petrus is one of the relics that they put on the accompanied CD that comes along with the mag. If you've already heard it, you are soooooooo awesome, so go tell all your friends how lame and dated my blog is, and you can rag on the Drag City folks while you are at it too.
Petrus - There Isn't Time (feat. Ruthann Friedman)

I'm also gonna throw up a cool cover of the song Dropout Boogie by Captain Beefheart. The cover is by local San Francisco dude Ty Segal, whose album Lemons is newish and pretty good. It always sucks when the best track on the album is a cover of someone else (and I think this is definitely the best track on Lemons), but I guess its also pretty hard to compare to the genius of someone like Captain Beefheart, especially when he was still recording with the Magic Band (he generally sucked for most of his later career anyway, with a few exceptions). I understand the desire to record a song that you really like and admire, and you should be able to put it on your album. I mean its better to cover the song and own up to it, than to blatantly rip it off and change like three things, and then pretend it's your magnum opus. So, there should be some rules to covering people. Like if you are gonna release the first single on your new album, ESPECIALLY if it's your band's debut single, you are not allowed to release a cover as that would be fucking sacrilegious. Maybe your second or third single (if you are Madonna, U2, or Coldplay who get to have three singles on an album) can be a cover, and you have to start the song with a open narrative to the universe stating the name of the orignal writer and band that actually came up with it. I'm sure the original songwriter would disagree with me, because if they negotiated their deals correctly, they would stand to get a writer's royalty from all sales of the single, and possibly a percentage of the album sales. But even then that shit is wack, cuz now Jim-Bob American, who may not have even been alive or coherent when the original dropped, think that Blue Monday is written by Orgy. And we know that Orgy deserves no credit for that song. Fuck Orgy. So here is Ty Segal's cover of Dropout Boogie. I doubt they have any "singles" on the Lemons album, so its alright by me.
Ty Segal - Dropout Boogie (by Captian Beefheart)

For shits and giggles and to stay true to all the bullshit I just wrote, here is the original Dropout Boogie by Captain Beefheart.
Captain Beefheart - Dropout Boogie

No comments:

Post a Comment