Thursday, September 10, 2009

Internal Emotional Pain

Photobucket
It doesn't happen too often in life, but it is extremely sad to watch people completely fail with tales of personal triumph. I'm talking about when their hubristic yarn is immediately denied, and their discomfort then becomes so overwhelming that it ultimately extends to you, and you get this hideous feeling in your sternum. To explain, I'll have to recount my morning's incident. I usually go get coffee at the chain across the street, as nobody there says a fucking word to me, they take my order, they generally get it right, and the process is streamlined and quick (plus they have cinnimon and soy milk). There is also a seemingly more mom and pop type coffee shop in the same area thats a little cheaper, but whomever the fuck is working always has to chat with me about something; these conversations are always forced and pathetic and so I generally avoid the place. Today, for basically no reason , I decided to go over to the mom and pop coffee shop, save 50 cents, and just deal with the convo that would undoubtably ensue. I work in a touristy area, so if you work/live locally, most of the businesses will give you a 10-20% discount on your order. So, when the old man that owns the coffee shop charged me full price, I reminded him that I work across the street, to which he replied, "I know, of course I remember you, I have a PERFECT memory for names and faces". He then went on to tell me a story of how he recognized a girlfriend that he'd had some 30 years earlier, who had physically changed a great deal, and how he knew it was her because of her eyes, and that she was soooooo embarassed that she didn't recognize/remember him (no shit). He claimed that was his "greatest talent". 5 seconds later, some new guy walks in and he says "Hey Greg". To which "Greg" replies, "Uhhhm, I'm Phil". At that moment, dude literally died inside, and started to retort, "oh yeah, I knew that, I knew that", and then he paused and looked at me and said, "I knew his name was Greg...I mean uhhh Phil". After that he just stared at me with a frightened yet confident look, like he had fucked up on purpose. God, so awkward, and so immediate, and hours later it still haunts me. I didn't get the fucking discount either.

Moving on from that egocentric garbage, today's track is I'll Be The One by Marcia Pharr. I know nothing about it/her (are you surprised?) other than that it came out in 1980 on PJP Records, and it has a very funky breakdown in the middle of the track that lasts about two minutes. Check it.
Marcia Pharr - I'll Be The One

1 comment: