Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Plugs: Grow Up

Photobucket
The Monthly Shameless SELF-PROMOTION post has hit again. Yes lemmings, Grow Up is upon us, on March 3rd (2010 btw. 2011 and beyond people, take heed), at Madrone Lounge in San Francisco (and its free!). Maybe its best to just copy and paste the last post I did for Grow Up and save myself that extra bit of time (I just tried to do this by the way, but it turns out it'd be much easier to just write it). So this month we've got heavy-hitter Altair Nouveau (of super label DFA btw, and Solardisco) who will be doing his last DJ set here in SF, before moving to NYC to actually live his life to the fullest (we all know that you can only partially live it up in SF). Also guesting it up, is SF producer/DJ, The Beat Broker (SENTRALL, Flexx, Hands of Time) who has been on fire lately putting out a bunch of new 12"s. I'd like to point out, and this is entirely coincidental, that Myself (Hotthobo), Altair, Beat Broker, and Fenstar, are all (under)graduates of the University of California, Santa Barbara, at different points in time, from '97 - '05 (I think). So we've all experienced the negatives and positives that accompany living in a place comprised mainly of rich whites and working class Mexicans, with perfect weather and an intense, yet homogeneously flawed nightlife and culture. I'm sure this will somehow be reflected (abstractly) in our selections.

So, for this Grow Up, the same rules apply. If you show up, and I don't know you, and you tell me that you're attending Grow Up solely due to the blog, I'll be obligated to buy you a cheap beer. Last time, no one did, but people (I'd never met before) did introduce themselves, a few of whom, even told me that they'd seen OMP. This leads me to assume that either they were too modest to ask for a free drink, or they checked it out once, said "eh, whatever", and brought it up solely for the sake of conversation, not knowing that they could get free beer outta me. Either is okay with me. There are some rules though. Like once you get the beer from me, you can't tell all your friends it worked. Honor system applies people: I'm actually trying to save up some cash right now in preparation for taxes, so don't be fucking with my bank account in order to realize some sly hustle (that I'm calling out right now anyways). If you do that, its both trite, and rude.
Etienne Daho - Il Ne Dira Pas

2 comments:

  1. "comprised mainly of rich whites and working class Mexicans, with perfect weather and an intense, yet homogeneously flawed nightlife and culture" is the perfect description of Santa Barbara....I hope some freakishly styled girl comes and tells you that see reads this everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i better get a tallcan out of this...

    ReplyDelete