Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spinal Tap

Photobucket
Ack, Back Pain! The worst type of pain other than ball pain if you are a man. Would you rather get kicked in the back or the balls? I would choose back any day of the week (except maybe today, as I am in constant pain). I hope I don't end up like that one junkie from Taxi who was on celebrity rehab. He claimed that all his drug abuse stemmed from back pain incurred during an accident on set, so he couldn't be blamed for his addictions to heroin, morphine, and Oxycontin. Anyways, my advise to anyone reading this is not to move all of your records by yourself from place to place in two days, and then go skateboarding and surfing in the same day. After the skate session, my back was killing me, and when I told my friends that I didn't think I'd be going surfing later, my chiropractor called me a pussy (by the way I hang out with my chiropractor). Well it looks like I got the last laugh (braugh) as my back is totally fucked.

So when thinking of a track to post that would possibly soothe my spine, I got into the vibe of Misdemeanor by Foster Sylvers. The youngest of the Sylvers clan (a southern family funk/soul and eventually disco group similar to the Jackson 5), Foster Sylvers put out his own solo album in 1973 on Pride, in an attempt to become the poor man's Michael Jackson. Written by his brother Leon Sylvers, Misdemeanor was the first top 10 R&B for Fosters, then age 11. The Sylvers as a group later went on to record a couple decent disco albums, penned the million selling hit Boogie Fever, and generally went relatively unnoticed through out the 80s, and 90s. Apparently their family, unlike the Jacksons, did not use beatings and fear tactics to produce super-stardom. Later, Dr. Dre after ending ties with NWA, sampled the track for Its Funky Enough by the D.O.C. on the album No One Can Do It Better, which was how I initially was introduced to it.
Foster Sylvers - Misdemeanor

No comments:

Post a Comment